Friday, December 4, 2009

my foul fowl





The river front in K-town, should be an asset to our community. It should be a draw to its people and those who travel through our small little town. Instead the river has become a slightly frightening, murky place. Perhaps there is to much "night-time" recreation, an overuse of the men's bathrooms, or maybe a body or two has washed up on the shore...but, there is a place where the fowl have taken over. They breed there, defecate there, kill there, die there, swim there, and possibly mutate there...and we go there to feed them day old bread. These geese and ducks see you coming and flock around you until you are completely surrounded, squawking for your crumbs. Some have missing eyes, legs, or other parts...are they rabid? possibly. Have they been exposed to too much radiation from Hanford? Possibly. It is a very uneasy feeling, these fowl outnumbering and surrounding you. I now understand the full importance of the Hitchcock movie "Birds"...
I can see the apprehension in Sadie's face and in her body language...I do the same thing. Imagine a feathered created that is as tall as you, that weighed approximately as much as you, and that had an extremely loud guttural squawk and missing patches of feathers...these are the creatures of my nightmares....Here Sadie...go give this beast some bread and hope it doesn't take your fingers with it...
But, of course, the children had fun...

3 comments:

karen said...

Fun. I haven't found a place to take elsa to feed the ducks. Wow. Busy birthday month !! Hope the kids liked their gifts. See the same teddy birthday center piece I have ? The one from sharon ?

Taunya said...

Hahaha! I laugh, but I feel your sentiments exactly.

D-dawg said...

Hilarious! Yes, very fowl. But hey, if the kids like it that is all that matters!

I hope you guys had a "nice" holiday season. I know it must have been hard.