Monday, September 24, 2007

my trip to the coast




We stopped first at this sturgeon farm/hatchery on our way to Salem.
I have never seen such large fish. They were 7 feet long sturgeon. It was kinda scary because they were so massive. I have a fear of swimming in lakes for this exact reason. I do not want to be wading and splashing around then all of a sudden, a freakishly huge water beast swims up by me and brushes my leg....but I digress...

This sturgeon farm is nestled in a lovely spot in the columbia gorge. I thought the "egg incubation" building was kinda funny...

We arrived in Salem, rather late, due to a much anticipated trip to the Portland IKEA! Can I get a WHAT, WHAT?! It was a virtual mad house maze...people were everywhere and packed in there. It was so fun to look, but also a little stressful b/c we had all the kids and I really wanted to SHOP!

The hotel was great...the first night was kind of rough. Sadie and Reese basically cried all night.

We were greeted the next morning (Thurs.) to a completely flat tire...Michael had to change it in all his nice clothes. He did it really fast and we took him to his meetings.

Then me and the kids headed to the Children's Discovery Village (http://www.acgilbert.org/). Oh, my goodness...this was SO MUCH FUN! It was such a great place! The kids were able to touch and play with all the exhibits and it is also very educational.




Reese LOVED this "spider web". He tried so hard to climb it and he had a blast!


Friday we headed to the coast...
We ended up finding a camping spot in Nehalem Bay S.P. I would go there again. It was so beautiful. I cant tell you enough how much I love the coastal scene with the mountains, the grassy sand dunes, and all the green trees.

All the kids slept really well in the tent. I think they were all just exhausted at this point.


We got up the next morning and continued up the 101 and stopped at a few lookout points
And finally stopped at Cannon Beach. We are big fans of the movie Goonies, and I have always loved this beach. It was a little colder and windier here, so we didn't get to stay as long as we wanted.
We went to Ikea again on our way back over to the east side and I bought a few more things that I love!

Then the drive home was tense at times. Sadie screamed for a long time on several occasions. We kept having to pull over and calm her down. I think she was just sick of being in her seat + she had a bit of a cold.
It was a great trip and I always am up for a trip to the coast. I love going there. It makes me feel happy!!! It is so breathtakingly beautiful.
Sorry this is so long!

6 comments:

Lesley said...

I loved all the pictures! I too, love going to the beach. It's so pretty and so relaxing. You guys did a lot! That museum for the kids looked really neat. I love the pictures of Reese trying to climb the spider! SO cute! Glad you had a fun getaway and were able to pick up some cool things at IKEA. That is a neat store!

grandma said...

it looks like you had a fun trip. you are brave to camp out with little kids

karen said...

Cute pictures !!!! Now you have zillion pictures to scrapbook ! You better get started so I can start looking at your albums :)

MishMyBelle said...

Janelle-
glad you had an enjoyable trip with your cute little family! I am jealous of your vacation. I miss the west coast!!

angie said...

What a fun trip Janlee! I love the Oregon coast- there really isn't anything prettier, that I have seen in my life yet atleast. I'm glad you guys had fun!

Taunya said...

I my goodness, Janelle! I am so jealous! We love the Oregon Coast! We have gone every year since I was a kid, but this year we weren't able to make it. Im so glad you guys were able to go and have a great time!