Friday, September 5, 2008

my freak out moment of the day



my freak out moment today

so, for Audrey's school, the teacher has a calender that she sends home with each child everyday. the child gets a sticker on the day if they had good behavior and were respectful...if they are not, she writes a comment and tries to explain what the problem was. Audrey has come home with 2 'write-ups'. And then...the horror...she called me at home during school hours to inform me that Audrey was having some respect issues.
Can I be more devastated? Can I cry anymore about it? Can I be more embarrassed about it?
On one hand, I thought Audrey might struggle with a more strict schedule and more defined rules, but on the other hand, I am so upset that she has been a distraction in her class.
We have instated a reward/punishment plan for her.
I just have my fingers crossed and am trying not to overreact to her problems with following directions and not goofing off. I am hoping that once she realizes that school is not just an extended play date, that she will be able to go with the flow of her class more. She does love school and her teacher, and I want to keep it that way.
Audrey always has been very independent and free spirited. She is so loving and sweet and so smart, She is always kind to others and wants to be friends with everyone. She has so many great qualities, she just wants to do her own thing. But sometimes that just doesn't fly in kindergarten.
I cant help but feel like a bad mother, that all my kids are wild and unruly and out of control. What am I doing wrong? Any advice??

3 comments:

D-dawg said...

Janelle, it is totally normal to blame yourself as a mother when your child does something "wrong" but really it is NOT your fault. Audrey is who she is, and like you said she has so many AWESOME qualities. Who knows? Maybe the teacher is no fun and it's just too hard to sit still when you're energetic and 5. She'll figure it out eventually. I think it's good you're doing rewards/punishments- and lots of lectures are good too. Keep us posted!

MollyE said...

oh good luck. Been there, doing that. Sometimes I think teachers just don't let these little kids be kids anymore! It is hard to know when the teacher is being overly sensitive, or if your child really is being difficult. My best advice, get in the classroom and see for yourself. Even a day or two here and there will help you get a feel for the teacher's style. Good luck!!

Lesley said...

I agree with D-dawg. It's all new and exciting and she is just energetic and 5 and I bet it's just hard to want to sit still sometimes! It will all be fine and work out! You are a GREAT mom!!!!