Tuesday, January 23, 2007

my high school shirt

so, every month or two i get the overwhelming urge to clean and purge my home of its unwanted-s. i feel like we collect a lot of clutter and many times things don't get put in their rightful spots. so i have piles of things on this and that.

well, my walk in closet takes quite a beating. i have many several "baby" pounds to lose and i try on lots of clothes and they might not fit the right way, so i throw them on the ground and try on something else instead of putting it back in its place. i feel a mad rush in the mornings to get showered, dressed, and breakfast ready before the kids tear the house too much apart (or each other). so i don't necessarily have time to contemplate my outfits. ANYWAY....
last night i decided to purge my closet and organize it...again...
i have a pretty ugly button down shirt that i bought at banana republic in bridgewater, NJ in 1993. WHY have i had this hideous shirt since high school? WHY am i holding on to this pirate shirt? it is WAY to big for me now (and i am at my heaviest), it has stains on the front, a small hole in the back, it practically comes down to my knees in length, and the sleeves are puffy...PUFFY...and tapered at the ends(the picture does not emphasize its hideousness!)

now maybe i thought that it would look good under sweaters...maybe i liked the little stars pattern...
but that time is long past, i am throwing it away and not looking back. why would i hold on to such an ugly article of clothing for almost 15 years? does anyone hold onto ugly clothes that long? i mean, i might do some shopping at a thrift store now and again, but to hold onto such an ugly huge shirt and maybe wear it once a year is so ridiculous...
i don't know why i have such strong feelings about it. i think its b/c i am in that purging mood, and i sometimes just cant let go.
but i am this time...and my closet is cleaned and organized...and all is well again.

5 comments:

Amy said...

That's an interesting story. I've only been out of highschool for three years and do have some of my old clothes that I do still wear but that is really not that great. Your story actually reminded me of the red striped shirt I wore in high school that is now used by your kids to dress up like a pirate. I don't know why I bought that shirt, I wore it when I took my school pictures my junior year and it isn't a very flattering shirt. I looked like I should be striping candy canes at Christmas time.

D-dawg said...

ha ha ha!!! I have sooo been there. When I get in the cleaning organizing mood I love it and have often asked myself the same thing. WHY? Why do we hold on to ridiculous ugly things for so long? Whether it be an old craft you made long ago or some dangly crazy peach clip on earrings (just got rid of some)! I don't understand it but if feels sooo good to throw things away! The pic of you in your shirt made me laugh!!!! Good job for organizing!

angie said...

Go Janelle! I am proud of you! I know that was tough but it sounds like you had an easier time than I last year when I threw away 3 "highschool" v-necks. Again, WHY? I do know why I held on to my Dad's old college basketball shirt...it was my favorite because it was sooo comfortable. Thin and soft so I'm not hot. Pete had to pry it from my clutched hands after it became immodest with so many holes in not so good places. That shirt is gone, but lives on in my heart. I love the pic!

Lesley said...

I totally know what you mean! I have a superman shirt (just ask my mom and husband) that was paperthin, I think it was see-thru and I refused to give it up until Jared bought me a new superman shirt to wear (that was the deal). I am the hugest "what if" I need that some day girl! It's ridiculous!

jenbahrens said...

I have a vague recollection of this shirt. Did I ever wear it?

I think we hold onto stuff like this because we don't want to "waste" anything. Maybe you should cut it up and use it as cleaning rags. Then you won't be wasting it!