Tuesday, March 6, 2007

my night walkers

Has anyone been completely frightened by sleep walking children in the middle of the night? I will be the first to admit that I am almost sometimes scared of the dark....when Michael goes out of town, I will usually run to my mom's with the kids to sleep over. I have many irrational fears, and one of them happens to be a fear of burglars (or worse). I, for some reason, am afraid that some man or men will break into my home while we all lay peaceful in our beds.
But, many a night, I am deep in my slumber and roll over to see a ghostly figure walking towards we in the distance. Or, I will "sense" something and open my eyes and be 2 inches away from a white face.
Yes, these are my sweet children that startle me in the dead of night....not ghosts, goblins, or robbers, tender little people that need help going to the bathroom or that might have had a bad dream. Nevertheless, my heart usually skips a beat (or two) as I open my eyes and see something vaguely moving in the dark, and I will usually let out a little gasp (or something a bit louder).
The other disturbing aspect of this night walking, is when their eyes are open, but they are still asleep. This also leaves me feeling uneasy. When I think they are actually alert and awake, I try to make conversation with them, but then they just grin at me wildly or walk into walls that they believe are doors or just stare, blankly, with their eyes as wide as they can be....perhaps, maybe, just a little zombie-like.
I think that I have seen to many scary movies....

10 comments:

jenbahrens said...

Do all of these fears stem from the "balloon man" incident?

My children do funny things at night also. Christian sleep walks when he is more stressed (around the beginning of the school year) and I've found him sleeping on the dining room bench. Since we've gotten a king sized bed and there's a lot of space, someone always joins us in the middle of the night.

Good luck with your sleep walkers!

D-dawg said...

Janelle, that is funny because it totally happens to me too! I have jumped and screamed at my kids in the night when I feel someone near and open my eyes to see a face or figure. Logan is the biggest sleep walker of the 3. He has gotten up a lot of times and gone potty somewhere on the floor and then we find him somewhere else, naked and asleep.

Tell us the balloon man story!!? what was that??!

Also, I don't love staying home at night when Dave is gone. One night I was feeling a little scared and blogged about being home alone... then I realized how stupid that was and I had to call my dad and he drove all the way over here and slept on my couch!

Sorry long comment.

janellelee said...

ha, ha jen...i think it totally does stem from the balloon man incident. here is a shortened version...
me & jen were house sitting for my aunt in orem, utah...and one night i woke up and saw a man standing at the dining room table by a chair. i was totally paralyzed with fear, but i inched my way over to jen. (we were sleeping downstairs on the floor).it probably took an hour for me to get to her even tho she was laying next to me, but i went so slow as to not alarm the intruder. then woke her up and we decided to try to make a run for the door...which was in between him and us. he wasnt moving, so i was sure that he knew we were restless and thought that if he stood there that we wouldnt see him and go back to sleep...i cant even describe my fear for my life. i was so petrifide! so after probably another hour or 2 of me and jen getting up the nerve, we made a move and ran to the door turning on the light...and it was totally 3 balloons, one a little higher than the other 2, so it looked like a head and shoulders and they were positioned against the chair, so that looked like the body. it was so real and frightening. i guess one of jen's friends had come home late (she was house sitting too) and put them there while we slept. jen will attest that it was the spitting image of a man, standing in the dark!

D-dawg said...

so scary that balloon man! I would have been freaked out too.

angie said...

Janelle! Skyler was asleep with his eyes wide open once and then he started screaming and didn't respond to me at all for atleast 5 mins. I was freaking out and was about to take him to the ER!! He totally scared me! I too am scared of men breaking into my home- we got an alarm system! The balloon man sounds freaky!

Lesley said...

How scary!!!! I don't like the balloon man! That would have scared me so bad! I don't have any night walkers yet, but I remember that I did it as a kid and would scare my mom to death! She seriously would jump a mile and then it would scare me! I totally remember one time when I was sleep walking and I went in and was totally chewing out my parents and then couldn't help but laugh and their laughing was making me even more mad! Sleep walking is so wierd and scary and everyone does it sometime or another!

D-dawg said...

Lesley for sure talked in her sleep when we were roommates.... sorry Les but it's true!!

Lesley said...

D-dawgie dawg--WHAT??!!!! ARE YOU SURE?!!!! :) Just kiddin'! I am sure that I probably did, Jared tells me the same thing! Why am I so wierd?!

karen said...

Hi Janelle :
Sounds super scary about the balloon man.. Good thing you're not in Michgian when it happens. That'll be super-freaky !

Katherine said...

I was Janelle's roommate in college for a long time and one time she walked into our bedroom and when the light from the hall flooded in I looked at the door with my eyes wide open and a really creepy look on my face and just stared at Janelle. This totally freaked her out. She told me the next morning she screamed really loud in alarm and I didn't even wake up- just turned over and faced the wall.

That would freak me out.

So I'm going to take a little credit away from the balloon man for Janelle's phobia.