Friday, April 27, 2007

my favorite "love" songs


I was driving home the other day and heard "mony-mony" (the Billy Idol version) on the radio. I was flooded with memories of my youth. There have been a couple of songs that really had an affect on me in my adolescence...this is one. Have you ever been so in love with a song? I admit, I tend to have obsessive tendencies, I will listen to songs over and over and over and over again. I wasn't that into Billy Idol (okay, so, that is a lie) but I loved how the song was sung. I believe I did a lip-sync dance to it w/another girlfriend at a "talent" show. The other song was "Power of Love" by Hewey Lewis and the News! I have a slightly ridiculous memory of my father calming me down after I heard "Power of Love" b/c I was overcome with feelings for Michael J.Fox. I had such a huge crush on him at the time.
Back to the Future had come out and that was one of my favorite movies. Now that I think about it, the list of songs that I freakish loved in my wonder years could go on. But these songs were definitely the top 2 songs (Power of Love being #1) that evoked overwhelming emotion in an awkward pre-teen.

9 comments:

D-dawg said...

That is hilarious! I also loved "power of love" and can still see Michael J. skate boarding down the road to the song. Right? Anyway, for me I usually love a song if it has a good message and I can sing along to it. A few months ago I was in love with, "Because of you" by Kelly Clarkston and would listen to it all of the time. Now Macey sings it. In your blog I laughed when you put "talent" show in quotes because at those "talent" shows there usually isn't too much real talent. Just lip synces, dances etc. It's so funny. I can see you in my mind lip synching as a pre-teen!

janellelee said...

you feel me d! audrey knows the words to "bust-a-move". and i can picture you in the car... "BECAUSE OF YOU I NEVER STRAY TO FAR FROM THE SIDEWALK..." (ALL CAPS MEANS I envision you BELTING IT OUT W/FEELING)

Katherine said...

YES!! I love this post, Janelle. You are so awesome. We love Billy Idol in this house. I totally know what you're saying about the preteen mind and its obsession with cheesy and dramatic love songs. I was having a hard time thinking of some until I remembered "I Have Nothing" by Whitney Houston. You know, it was on the Bodyguard soundtrack? I totally used to belt that song out in my bedroom. How embarrassing. Also, from Karate Kid, "The Glory of Love" from the Karate Kid. Awesome post, Janelle.

Katherine said...

Oh yeah, and I just remembered Mariah Carey: "Hero" and "Love Takes Time"

Katherine said...

"Bust-a-move" is such a great song!

D-dawg said...

I love your new sidebar, isn't it fun?

Lesley said...

I like your new blog Janelle! Is it hard to do? I am not very good with the computer. Anyway, hilarious post!!!! I just pictured your dad trying to calm you down after "Power of Love"!!!! SO FUNNY!!!!! Great songs!!!!

D-dawg said...

I miss you.

Katherine said...

Yeah, I keep checking your blog. when are you coming back? Hope you're having a great time.