Thursday, June 21, 2007

my battle

I have been embroiled in an epic battle...I have a worthy opponent. She breaks left, I seek left, she breaks right, I seek right. She grabs her feet, I pull them down. She turns on her belly, I flip her back...
Seconds tick by, then minutes. I struggle for control, I arm myself with trinkets and toys...my opponent cannot be distracted. Her focus is sure. The minutes are adding, adding...she cannot be contained, she begins to shout louder and louder to frustrate my efforts even further...she is a cunning one. She begins to struggle even harder and harder still to test my endurance, yet, my focus is sure...then at the breaking point, I have become fast enough. My reflexes have become fine tuned. I accomplished a simple, yet sometimes most insurmountable task of changing Sadie's diaper.

6 comments:

D-dawg said...

I remember the days of diaper changing battles... right now I am enjoying a little break with no diapers. Good luck Janelle! You must defeat her! Even though she's so cute I'm sure it is hard to defeat her! But you must press forward and teach her who is boss!

angie said...

Ha Ha! the good thing is, is that moms always (well usually) win!

grandma said...

Sadie is so cute - so she struggles a little at diaper changing time!!!!!

angie said...

Janelle, I had a battle this afternoon with Preston over changing his diaper and I have an idea for you... it worked with prest and it might sound mean but throw a cold wet wipe on her face and then quickly do the change. Good luck!

Katherine said...

This is so funny and so familiar. Great writing- you crack me up!

Lesley said...

I can totally relate! I love this blog! Good luck!! She sure is cute!