Monday, August 11, 2008

my princess problem

I watched the Disney movie Aladdin the other day with my kids and it got me thinking about all the "princesses". I do love all of the classic Disney movies. They are very entertaining, but I am starting to see some negative, rebellious themes coming from these princesses...Here is my take on a few of them....


Jasmine, so exotic, yet, so sad. Was her life really as terrible as she sulked about in the movie? I got sick of her whining about living in a vast palace, having maids, a caring father, and having food to eat....hmmmm, a roof over your head, food on the table, a loving family....apparently these fundamental needs are not good enough for this princess. It must be hard to find time to be happy when you are so busy living off of other people's accomplishments, wealth and generosity.


Sleeping Beauty, now she broke down in tears when she realized that she was a princess and that she would be reunited with her parents. Oh, yeah, ouch...that is definitely bad news. I wouldn't want to find out about my real birth parents and that I was royalty.

Belle, wasn't happy to be in just a "little town"...she thought people in these small villages were small minded. How judgemental of her. Now, why cant she find happiness and contentment in her everyday life? Those are some of the most precious moments. Why does she need to go on adventures? Perhaps to run away from her own confused, conflicted self.



the little mermaid was so very disobedient to her father & very rebelious. instead of going to her trusted loved ones for help, she chose to risk everything for a man that she saw for MAYBE 1 hour? Talk about selfish. I just really cringe now when I watch the DVD and hear her lies that she tells her father. Whatever happened to honoring our mothers and fathers?




Now, Cinderella is my favorite disney movie. Here she had everything, a home, loving father and it was all taken away from her. And what did she do, she endured. She didnt complain, but she dreamed of a better day. No one to love her except the house rodents. She was respectful to those who were cruel to her...

Maybe it is just me, but I think some of the other princesses could learn a thing or two from Cinderella.

8 comments:

D-dawg said...

Janelle, I very much agree! And that's not even getting into their modesty issues. And their issues with thinking a man or "Love's first kiss" can solve their problems and they'll be happy forever if they have him!! I hate how Ariel leaves everyone in her life and family and her whole world for some guy- and the scene in sleeping beauty where prince whatever comes into the forest and "she's not supposed to talk to strangers" but he wants to dance so she submits... anyway, great post. I'm laughing at how many opinions we have on these princesses! I could go on and on.

D-dawg said...

I love your new look too!

karen said...

never thought about that till you point it out.. cinderlla is my favorite.. what about giselle from enhanted ??

Amy said...

I liked this blog very insightful. I will never look at disney princesses the same.

Amy said...

I do want to mention one thing. I disagree with you on Belle. First, she saved her fathers life by becoming the beasts prisoner then saw through his hidiousness and fell in love with him despite what he looked like on the outside. Secondly, she knew Geston was an animal the moment she met him. She was a good judge of character.

MollyE said...

Ok, I just watched Beauty and the Beast, and I have to agree with Amy about Belle. That town was a little weird and judgemental. I think she was right to want to get away. And her Dad was a wimpy inventor guy. I mean protect your daughter already. What are you doing heading off to the Fair and leaving her alone. Then you blame your horse for taking the dark scary road? And you have to give Belle some credit for staying with the beast after he turned human. I mean, hello, that guy was better looking as a beast!

Taunya said...

How very insightful, Janelle! After reading your thoughts, I have to agree with you. I never really thought about it before, but now... Cinderella is my favorite princess!

to hell with it said...

so, my sister and i read this, and we think you all need to think with a little more acceptance. you all look a little older than we are so we have more of a childlike view of movies and when kids watch them they dont see everything you are pointing out even if they may be true. these movies are classics and kids who have watched them have not grown up to be abnormal...using the excuse "the little mermaid did this, so I can too." Kids also need to be able to look forward to a happy ending. p.s. ariel didnt leave her world for a guy...she left b/c her dream was to walk with other humans. she didnt go to her "trusted loved ones" b/c they didnt understand her or her interests. thats why she went to her friends for support and help. p.p.s. jasmine wasnt upset with her home; she was upset with the prospect of an arranged marriage. sleeping beauty broke down in tears b/c she was going to be forced to marry someone she didnt love and had already fallen in love with the man in the woods. belle's town was very small minded b/c the girls were in love with a haughty guy and they thought her love for reading was weird and her father was crazy for being an inventor. so get your stories straight please.